Saturday, September 8, 2012

Tools of the Trade: Wet Pallets

Hello folks, before I proceed with my Lazy Painter posts, I figured I'd first talk about the tools you'll need to apply your base coat, wash, highlight and dry brush. So today I'll talk about the wet pallet and how you can make your own.

What is a Wet Pallet?

Well, a pallet is a place where you place your paint to be thinned or mixed. The problem with regular pallets is that paint has a tendency to dry fast when left on it. Now for people who take a long time to paint this can mean a lot of wasted paints. A wet pallet is basically a pallet that keeps your paint from drying.



How Does it Work?

Well a wet pallet has three parts. A container to hold water, a thin sponge to absorb the water and a certain kind of paper that slowly takes the water from the sponge. The sponge is placed on the container and soaked in water. The paper is then placed on top of the soaked sponge, you then place your paint on top of the paper. The idea is as the water in the paint evaporates, the paper replaces it with water from the sponge. The sponge then then replaces the water it loses from the container. So long as the container has water, the paint will not dry.

How Do I Make One?

What this video I made on how to make your own wet pallet.


No comments:

Post a Comment