Monday, May 21, 2018

One of the most commonly said things by veterans about Warmachine is that you can use the same list with a different caster and it will function differently. Well, this week I have a list that proves this point.

War Room Army

Cygnar - Surging Anger

Theme: No Theme Selected
74 / 75 Army

Major Beth Maddox - WJ: +30
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 30)
- Lightning Pod
- Lancer - PC: 10

Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 4

Sword Knights - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
Stormblade Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
- Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 5
Tempest Blazers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18

---

GENERATED : 05/15/2018 11:06:32
BUILD ID : 2066.18-05-11

Basically the list above is my Storm Surge list except I used Maddox instead of Stryker1 and swap out Carvolo for Runewood. The difference of what the list answers and asks however is huge. We’ll start with that the list answers, this list answers medium to high ARM. Maddox’s feat makes Sword Knights with “Flank” on a charge crazy good with a MAT 8 POW 13 4D6. Stormblade become POW 18, Even the Lancer can get some serious damage making his spear hit for POW 16. Infantry spams cans still be answered by the Tempest Blazers, Stormwall, the Stormblades and maybe by the Sword Knights. The Sword Knights are still your main tar pit units with Maddox’s upkeep of “Dauntless Resolve” that combines “Arcane Shield” and “Tough”. The lists still suffers from few magic attack sources and still has no direct answer for stealth, it also has a harder time with high DEF models more so than my Stryker1 list. This list’s attrition game is also weaker due to not having access to the +5 ARM from Stryker1’s feat and loss of Arcane Shield. Dauntless Resolve can only be applied to warrior models/units, leaving your Jacks vulnerable compared to Stryker1.

Reading the above you may start to wonder are the trade offs worth what you gain? Well, you see that’s exactly what the list asks your opponent. This list asks a simple but important question of your opponent, “Can you survive my alpha strike?”. This list can devastate your opponent’s army leaving him/her with little to mount a counter if you manage to get the alpha in on the bulk of your opponent’s army. The challenge is knowing when to go ham and when to wait since a common counter to alpha strike lists would be to bait the alpha strike out while holding enough back to counter attack.

Overall I’ve played this list just 5 times, I only won once and mainly because of my opponent using up his death clock. I’ve yet to master the timing of my “alpha strike”, as mostly I wait too long and loss too much of my army already. It’s a tricky list to play and although I already have a different list in mind for Maddox I intend to still play this list some more just so I can practice the correct timing of an “alpha strike”. I can see using this list on jack/beast heavy lists, provided I can master its timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment