Monday, January 7, 2013

Clash of Metal and Flesh: Tagaytay Invitationals - Part 1

No painting update today I'm afraid, instead I will talk about the first event I organized for 2013. Its called the Tagaytay invitationals, a tournament that was aimed at trying to build a closer relation to a play group that's quite far away from me and my usual play groups. If your not from the Philippines or don't know how far Quezon City is from Tagaytay, its about a 2 hour drive on a good day, on a bad day it can take 4 hours to reach. But enough of the geography lesson on more on the tournament.





The format was SR 2012, 3 rounds, single list with a small variation on the ranking system(more on this later). The encounter level was 35 points, no reinforcements. The scenarios were Close Quarters, Incursion and lastly Outfight, Outflank, Outlast. I was able to get 7 players including myself, there were 2 Circle players, 1 Khador, 1 Troll, 1 Legion, 1 Skorn and I of course played Cygnar.

The variation in ranking is that after the 1st round, you would normally group together the players with the same number of tournament points then randomize who will fight among that group. I maintained the grouping of players by tournament points, but instead of randomizing I then arranged them based on their control points.

  

Based on the table above, Jacky, Leon, Louie and Kim all have 1 tournament point. Jacky ranks as the top because her also has 2 control points. Leon is next because he has 1 control point. This means that on the next round it wold be Jacky vs Leon and Louie vs Kim. That's not the only modification I used, the other modification was targeted towards the bye system.


Now before I continue you guys need to know that Jacky had a bye on the 1st round and Arlo got a bye on the second round. The table above is the result of round 2. Based on the system that I'm using, Jacky is at the top, Kim is second, Atong next, but who'll fight Atong? Both Leon and Arlo have the same number of tournament points and control points. At this point you have to randomize it, but it didn't seem fair to me to leave who'll get a shot at 3rd place to chance. Specially since the reason 1 may get to fight for 3rd place is just because of a bye. Jacky also had a bye and is fighting for 1st place, the difference is that he did win his game and that's why he's still on top. He didn't get there just because of a bye. So I decided to add another layer of of ranking. After ranking by tournament points, then further ranking by control points, I add game points to the ranking. Basically if you play a game you get 1 game point, here's a picture of what the rankings look like with the game point system added.


For me this addition increases the chances that truly the top 4 players will be the ones fighting on the finals.

Sadly, I still don't know who won. We ran out of time and had to head back to Quezon City before the finals games could even start. I'm hoping that the Tagaytay players will be willing to continue the finals here, also Kim decided to bow out of the finals so the finals match will now be Jacky vs Atong and Leon vs Arlo.

In case your curious as to the factions of the players, here its is along with the casters that they used.

Jacky - Circle - Moshar
Kim - Khador - Irusk1
Atong - Circle - Kruger2
Leon - Legion - Ryhas
Arlo - Skorn - Morghul
Louie - Cygnar - Cain2
Raphael - Troll - Grim

I'll be sure to post the results of this tournament as soon as its finishes. Tomorrow's post should be about the Squire and how I painted it in just an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment