Saturday, January 5, 2013

Painting Attempts: Sword Knights

So I finally finished my Sword Knights. Total work time was about 10 hours. By far the fastest I've ever painted a 10 man unit, or any unit for that matter. I actually used the air brush for most of the work, so that may explain the speed. Here's an initial pic, more pics and an explanation of how I did it after the link...

I started by using the airbrush to primer them black, I used Valejo Polyeurathane primer. They come in different colours but black has been what I'm used to so I used it.

I then base coated them with Cold Steel, also via airbrush. You can run P3 paints through an air brush so long as you thin them right. I used water with a small amount of  P3 mixing medium and Valejo Retarder. I've not tried using plain water, but some sources say you can use just water.

I then applied coats of Cygnar Blue base on the breast plates and loin clothes. Coats of Iron Hull Grey were also applied on the shoulder pads. The secondary swords was given coats of Umbar Umbar. All of the coats stated above were applied again via air brush.


The final steps were to paint by hand coats of Umbar Umbar on the golden sections of the armour and shields, before I applied coats of Rhulic Gold. The gold on the secondary swords were applied directly since they already had coats of Umbar Umbar from the air brushing.

I then hand brushed Cygnar Blue Highlight on the helmet hair, once dry I mixed a wash of Exile Blue and applied it on all blue areas.


Once the wash dried, I finally painted the white Cygnus on their chests. Painted flesh on the face of the leader, apply Flesh Wash on it after. Last step is to apply Armour Wash on the grey shoulder pads and wait for it all to dry.

There you have it, my first paint job using the airbrush as a main tool. If you guys have questions or comments, just leave a note below.

My next project would be my striped Squire. Till next time, Cygnarian Cat Lover saying thanks for dropping by...


No comments:

Post a Comment